My friend has just had twins and she asked me for easy go to recipes and this would be one of them, because carbs and she’s feeding two little humans. When I was breast feeding my son I’d wake up at 1am and make myself 2 slices of toast. I was constantly famished. This one is for the famished.
Mozzarella caprese sandwiches aka lightning quick dinner, no fuss. It’s summery, fresh and easy. There is something to be said about tomatoes, in season period. They just taste superb and I want to eat them all day long. I love tomatoes, even more because my dad grew tomato plants. Searching for ripe tomatoes is a favorite past time.
Every-member-household approved. Easy and super quick, especially handy for those what the heck am I going to feed them nights? Better yet, those gosh I never took this meat out the freezer days. Yep. Real life happens daily.
- Pesto Paste
- 15-18 basil leaves
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- Juice of one lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup olive oil
- 6-8 par bake rolls sliced in half
- 1 log of mozzarella
- 2 large tomatoes
- Balsamic glaze as desired to taste (approximately1/4 teaspoon per person)
- Olive oil to drizzle to taste (1 teaspoon per person approximately)
- First make the pesto.
- Place the basil leaves, pine nuts, lemon juice, salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese and olive into a food processor and blitz until evenly combined I like it runny with a slight chunky consistency
- Preheat the oven to suggested temperature for the rolls.
- Cut the rolls open and place open faced on the tray for baking.
- Bake per packaging instructions.
- While the rolls are baking thinly slice the tomato and mozzarella log if not pre-sliced.
- Once the rolls are removed, use a teaspoon to measure pesto out and smear on each of the open faces of the sandwich halves.
- Place each mozzarella slice on one of the roll halves.
- Place a tomato slice onto each of the halves.