My four year old says I’m hungry as if I never feed him. I found myself buying granola bars and kid snacks like I had a small army of people to feed. I always have oats and nuts and these other pantry ingredients at home so it was time to make home made granola bars and I am so glad I did.
These also save my life when there is no time for breakfast like Sunday mornings on our way to church. Life happens, plans change, we have to be somewhere in a flash. So we rally the family into the car. Home made granola bars to the rescue.
I hope these save your life too. Maybe they should be called super hero bars.
- 2 cups organic gluten free crsipy rice
- 1 cup gluten-free old fashioned oats
- 1 cup raw almond slices
- ¾ raw pecan pieces
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- coconut oil cooking spray
- Place the crispy rice, oats, almond slices, pecan pieces and shredded coconut into a mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan on low heat melt the coconut oil, and butter, add the peanut butter, brown sugar, honey, vanilla extract, coconut oil and salt.
- Whisk to combine evenly.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry.
- Stir evenly to combine.
- Grease a 9x13 freezer proof dish with coconut oil spray
- Pour the combined ingredients into greased pan.
- Press the mixture down into the pan to flatten. Press hard to compress well this will help the bars to stick together.
- Place into the freezer for a minimum of 3 hours to set.
- Cut into bars or squares according to your preference for consumption.
- I cut mine to 2x3 inch in bars but these were a bit big for my kids so I'd suggest smaller for kids. My recommendation is 2x1.5 inch bars.
Did you make these? Tag me on instagram @foodincolorus